Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Work Visas in Spain

My husband looked into work visas in Spain and it sounds like getting one can be quite a challenge. Apparently unemployment there is high right now, so foreigners are low on the list of people to employ. Also, he found that you need a work permit in addition to the visa, which can take 3-6 months to obtain. Considering that info, we're not sure we could support ourselves in Spain with the $820/mo. I'd make as a North American culture assistant. That was a little disheartening, but I will probably still apply and inquire to find out what our options are.

I also spoke to my current employer about my plans, and he was very helpful and kind. As it turns out, he studied Latin America in school and also travelled all over the region in his 20's. He had lots of awesome tips on connections that the university may have down there. He also offered his opinions on the different regions and provided in-depth descriptions that I've yet to find online or in any article. I plan to solicit his help and advice in the near future, when I've done a little more research and can ask intelligent questions.

My boss Margie has also been very encouraging and has expressed excitement for me throughout the process, despite the fact that I will regretfully have to leave my job as her assistant behind as I pursue this future.

I'm so happy to have shared my plans, because I find that people are generally kind-hearted and supportive, even when your plans are not necessarily in their best interests.

No comments: