Sunday, March 11, 2007

Just the beginning

I've delayed in posting this blog because, while it's the last required post for my J333 Writing for Multimedia course, I feel like I'm just getting started. I know that things will get a lot more interesting once I actually begin applying for jobs, and I can't wait to start posting based on experience rather than research.

The goal of this blog was to illustrate how helpful the Internet and sharing technologies can be when it comes to conducting an international job hunt and preparing to live abroad. I've seen the benefits firsthand and am ever more convinced that:
  • The Internet is an invaluable resource for networking
    Forums from sites like Dave's ESL Cafe and TESall.com feature posts from thousands of veteran and aspiring teachers who offer encouraging and honest advice.

  • Forums can reveal untruths
    Posts from forums can help you see through the claims and charisma of company websites. While a company or program website will always say it's first-rate, disappointed consumers are more than willing to attest otherwise.

  • The Internet is the best source for "destination investigation"
    While books and magazines are fabulous for sprawling picture spreads and engaging editorials, they can't beat the up-to-date nature of the Web. If there's an unprecedented coup in Uruguay, I want to know about it before I book my plane ticket.

  • The Internet allows for visibility
    Because anyone can publish information to the Web, its easier than ever to get your name out for all to see.

  • The Internet is a great source for learning about cultural acceptability
    There's no better way to access information on and from anywhere in the world. You can find out with the click of a mouse whether or not your idea of professional conduct aligns with that of your intended destination.

  • Online job search engines, like Monster and Career Builder, are perfect for passive job hunters
    Because I won't actually be available for global employment until August, I don't feel that I should contact employers for a couple months yet. However, I can post my resumé on career sites and hope that an employer will come to me.

  • For job hunts abroad, the Internet is the way to go
    Most employers post job openings online now, because it's cheaper and easier. Also, when conducting an international search, you can access resources you'd never even consider in print—a Peruvian newpaper's classified section, for example.
As a result of this project, having endowed me with these insights and more, I feel well prepared for whatever international opportunity may come my way. It has turned teaching abroad from an unlikely and frightening possibility into something I'm confident I can and will do.

No comments: