Wednesday, March 14, 2007

An opportunity arises!

I thought that after 21 required posts that I'd want to take a little break from the blog scene. But, I'm finding that after a couple days without writing I feel strangely suppressed. So, here I am. I'm also writing, however, because I am extremely excited by a job opportunity I just received notice of.

I got an e-mail from the Romance Languages Department at the University of Oregon informing me that there are approximately 1000 grants available, offered by The Ministry of Education and Science of Spain (MEC), for "North American Language and Culture Assistants in Spain."

I meet the requirements insofar as I have a B.A. and intermediate to advanced Spanish skills, but I do not, however, currently hold a U.S. passport. I'm worried that I won't be able to get one by the application deadline of April 16, but I plan to head down to one of the many locations that offer passport services in the Eugene/Springfield area as soon as possible.

If I get this grant, I would work as an English language assistant teacher, which would be perfect considering my aspirations to teach abroad. The duration of the grant is 8 months, from October through May. This timing is perfect for me considering that I will complete my final class for graduation in August. The grants include medical insurance, something I hadn't even considered when looking for a teach abroad job in Latin America. They also include a teacher orientation course. Additional expenses, sucha s food, lodging and transportation, would be my responsibility. This was actually a relief to me considering that I am married and a homestay or host family situation would not work for us.

My only concern is that I would not be able to get a second job in Spain because I'd be there on a student visa. The pay is $820 U.S. dollars a month after taxes, but I'd need to support myself and my husband until he is able to find a job, which may be difficult for him considering that he doesn't speak any Spanish. I'm sure, however, that we can make it work. We're both able to live on very little, and I'm sure there are opportunities for strong, English speaking lads like hisself.

There are a lot of documents to gather and have prepared by April 16. In addition to clamoring for a passport, I need a medical certificate of good health, which I just learned can be obtained from my primary care physician. I also will need to get a certificate of good conduct from the police department. Then, I will have to gather the usual scholarship materials, including a personal statement, letter of recommendation, transcripts, etc. I guess I better stop blogging and get started!

No comments: