Monday, May 7, 2007

Costa Rica

I'm leaning toward going to Costa Rica now, considering that I won't be available for employment until mid-September. The school year in South America starts in March and I don't necessarily want to wait around Eugene in a state of limbo until then. Also, in Costa Rica there are a lot of opportunities for teaching Business English, so my endorsement from Bridge Linguatec should help in that respect.

According to an article from Transitions Abroad, the best way to look for a job in Costa Rica is to just go there and then conduct an active search. I used to feel apprehensive about doing so and thought I wanted to procure a job from overseas, but now I feel more confident. Also, with the cost of plane tickets to Costa Rica being so low (approx. $400 round-trip), it wouldn't be the end of the world if I went down there with my husband, couldn't find a job, and then came back after a month or so and called it a long vacation.

Now that I have a specific country in mind, I plan to do some more specific research to really understand the culture of Costa Rica and also the general requirements for teaching English there.

No comments: