Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Getting a job—Methods and resources: Part I

How convenient that just as I'm ready to think about methods and resources for job hunting abroad, the UO Career Center would have a seminar on "International Job Search Strategies." I attended yesterday and got a ton of useful information, mostly suggestions for web resources that I otherwise might not have found.

The UO career librarian, Tina Haynes, mentioned the Electronic Network for Latin American Careers and Employment (ENLACE) from the University of Texas. This site really peaked my interest considering I aim to get a job somewhere in Latin America.

The site lists links to a number of organizations and companies offering internships, fellowships, volunteer opportunities and employment listings. It's very easy to navigate, and the job links are nicely separated into categories: government, higher education, international organizations, NGO's, nonprofits, private sector and think tanks.

I was also directed to The Riley Guide, "a massive repository of links to career and job-hunting resources as well as useful career-related articles," maintained by Margaret Dikel (Battey, 89).

I really wish I would have found this site sooner. It offers information on everything from job search methods to tips for interviews and contract negotiations.

Particularly relevant to this post, and this blog, is the article on "How to Use the Internet in Your Job Search". Dikel lists a number of reasons for extending your job hunt online that I'd like to highlight here:
  • You can access the Internet at any time, any hour.
  • "There are no geographic limits" to the Internet
  • "Using the Internet in your search demonstrates leading-edge skills."
  • The Internet can foster relationships with others in your field or region of interest.
  • "The Internet can help you explore career alternatives and options that you maybe haven't considered."
I hope that by actively using the Internet in my job hunt that I can take advantage of all the benefits listed above.

I still have a lot more to say on Internet job search strategies and resources, so stay tuned for tomorrow's blog.

Print Sources


Battey, Jim. "Online job-hunting resource sites." InfoWorld 22.29 (2000): 89.

1 comment:

daniel said...

The popular comment layout is common, so it is easily recognized when scanning to post a comment. If the comment section is in a different format, then I am going to spend more time trying to decipher what everything means.

online jobs