Friday, February 23, 2007

Creating an internationally acceptable resume: Part II

(Continued from February 22, 2007)

Mary Anne Thompson notes that "most multinational companies will expect you to speak the languages of their country and English," and recommends that you prepare a version of your resume in both languages.

That's a relief. I'd wondered at times whether my Spanish-speaking skills could actually hurt my chances; I thought employers might assume I'd use Spanish too freely in the classroom and not provide enough English speaking experience to the students. As it turns out, most sources say that most employers consider speaking the language a bonus.

Thompson also points out that "companies want to 'see' and 'hear' actual proof of your language skills." I'm more comfortable with writing in Spanish than speaking, but I think I can get along alright. Much harder than speaking is comprehending what native speakers are saying. You just don't get the needed colloquial experience in a university setting. In any case, this tells me I need to practive my speaking and comprehension skills more before I go.

Another aspect to creating a global resume that I never would have even considered is that "paper sizes are different dimensions in different countries." You mean every country in the world doesn't subscribe to the 8 1/2 x 11 format? It's important to reformat your document for the recipient so he or she can print it out with ease.

I was also surprised to learn from The Complete Guide to International Jobs and Careers, which is also partially available as an online e-book, that many international employers expect a 5-8 page resume. Some employers may perceive the 1-page resume accepted here in the U.S. as showing slackness.

If you're still wanting more info on international resume preparation, Monster.com offers a succinct article on International Resume Choices.

In my next blog I'll go beyond talking about resume acceptability and discuss accessibility. How can you take the greatest advantage of the Internet and sharing technologies to make your resume available to employers worldwide?

Print Sources


Krannich, Ron and Caryl. The Complete Guide to International Jobs and Careers. Manassas Park, VA: Impact Publications, 1992.

Thompson, Mary Anne. The Global Resume and CV Guide: Advice from the Experts in Executive Search and Recruitment. Canada: John Wiley & Sons, Inc, 2000.

No comments: